SEMrush is the award-winning software solution for SEO and marketing professionals. It has over 45 tools which give you everything you need, and much more.
It has comprehensive analytics, a powerful keyword research tool, on-demand reports, and more.
But despite its magnificent array of impressive features. Despite the fact that you can hardly do without SEMrush as an SEO professional. And in spite of the fact that SEMrush is used by over 6 million professionals in 12 countries, SEMrush isn’t for everyone.
And I can relate.
Because no matter how good a product or service is, it couldn’t possibly be for everyone. For a myriad of reasons.
Thankfully there are a number of SEMrush alternatives available today, both free and paid. And in this article, I will review the best SEMrush competitors and the top SEMrush alternatives.
First, a look at SEMrush. If we’re reviewing the SEMrush alternatives, then it makes sense to start by first appraising SEMrush.
That makes sense. Right?
So, if you’re still with me, let’s go for it.
But first, here is our Navigation Tool, to help you find your way around.
SEMrush – The Market Leading SEO Software with Some Killer Features
SEMrush is the market leading suite of tools with over 6 million users in 12 countries.
SEMrush is also a serial award winner. In addition to all the awards it won in 2019, SEMrush has also been awarded the Best SEO Suite, as well as the Best Search Software Tool in the EU Search Awards 2020.
The SEMrush Tools Suite
SEMrush has over 45 tools and reports to enable you find the best solutions to your challenges as a digital marketer.
Ready to dive in? Awesome! Let’s go right in.
Start by login into SEMrush. Click here to start your FREE SEMrush 30 day trial, to get you started.
When you login, you will be taken to this dashboard. This is the brand new dashboard which SEMrush is phasing in shortly.
The All New SEMrush Dashboard
As you can see, the dashboard is amazing, and everything you need is all very well laid out.
- The blue arrow pints out the tab for the toolkits.
- The red arrow points to domain overview.
- The green arrow points to domain analytics. At a glance, you can see that Facebook has 99M organic keywords, 579M organic traffic, 1.8M paid traffic and an authority score of 97.
- The blue box highlights 6 broad areas – Digital agencies, SEO, Content marketing, Social media and Competitive research. Click on any of them to reveal different tools.
- The red box highlights the Content marketing dashboard.
- The green box highlights management tools including Projects, Reports, Oppty etc.
And as you can see from the image below, there are more tools!
When you click on the Domain Overview drop down, you see a list of 12 additional tools including Organic Research, Backlinks Analytics, Keyword Manager, Keyword Magic tool etc.
The competition for organic traffic is fierce and brutal, to put it mildly. To rank well with the search engines, you need the best SEO tools. And with SEMrush, you’ve got everything you need.
SEMrush has the following SEO tools to help you rank as high as possible on Google.
- Backlink Analytics. This the definitive tool for collecting, collating and analyzing any website’s backlinks.
- Backlink Audit Tool. With this snazzy tool, you clean up your backlink portfolio. That way you improve your website rankings by getting rid of any potentially harmful backlinks.
- Backlink Gap. This tool is the starting point if your goal is to discover your backlink prospects and find new link building opportunities.
- Bulk Analysis. With this awesome tool, you can look up and compare the backlink profiles of up to 200 websites in one place. Amazing!
- Charts. With this tool, you can analyze your search visibility vis-à-vis your competitors. You will be able to gain insights for SEO, PPC, and Google Shopping campaigns.
- Domain Overview. With this tool, you can check the online visibility of any domain across desktop and mobile devices. You can also get valuable insights into the competition.
- Google Data Studio connectors. Here you can amplify your business presentations. You can turn data into appealing visuals and create custom dashboards for your clients. All you’ve got to do is add SEMrush data into your Google Data Studio reports.
- Keyword Gap. With this tool, you can identify your competitors’ strengths and weaknesses. And you can gain insights and prospects for your audience.
- Keyword Magic Tool. This amazing tool will give you millions of keyword suggestions from the SEMrush keyword database. This is the biggest keyword database on the market. And in just a few clicks, you can pick the best ones for you.
- Keyword Overview. Here you can undertake a quick, all-encompassing analysis of your keywords. And what’s more, you gain valuable info on trends, as well as organic and paid search.
Some More SEMrush SEO Tools
- Link Building Tool. With this tool, you can easily create your backlink profile and develop an effective outreach strategy.
- Listing Management. This tool is awesome. It is the ultimate tool to help you manage and distribute your business information.
- Log File Analyzer. What to understand how Google and all the other search engines interact with your website? With this snazzy tool, you can!
- My Reports. With this tool, you can create visually appealing custom reports. Put all the powerful data together in one PDF.
- On Page SEO checker. This tool is a giver. It gives you everything you need to make your website smoother, healthier, and high-performing.
- Oppty. This is a lead generation tool for specifically for marketing agencies and freelancers. It is designed to find relevant leads for your marketing goals utilizing the power of big data.
- Organic Research. With this tool, you can find out which of your rivals keywords perform best. You can also uncover new ways of getting your web page on to the search engine reports pages (SERP).
- Organic Traffic Insights. This tool will help you unveil keywords that er “not provided”. Plus more opportunities to outperform the competition.
- Position Tracking. Now you can check the search rankings of your website over time. You can do this in comparison to your competitors. You can also discover new opportunities to get into Google’s first page.
- Ranks. This tool enable you to measure the online presence of both your competitors and your prospects.
- Sensor. With sensor you can detect ranking algorithm updates. The idea is to be able to turn volatility into opportunities for growth and development.
- Site Audit. This is an amazing tool for technical SEO. With this tool, you can perform a comprehensive technical SEO audit. You can also find and fix on-site issues, and overall, improve your Google rankings.
Some More SEMrush Snazzy Tools Before You Can Check Out SEMrush Alternatives
SEMrush has an array of tools to help with you with your content creation and marketing strategies.
- Brand Monitoring. You can track any brand mentions online This includes your brand and your competitor’s brands. You can find out estimated reach and analyze mention sentiments. In addition, you can track referral traffic and evaluate the effectiveness of your PR strategy.
- Content Audit. You can analyze subfolders of your website automatically, under custom criteria. What’s more, with this tool, you can personalize and individualize your content audit based on real-time metrics from Google Analytics, SEMrush and Google Search Console.
- Marketing Calendar. With marketing calendar, you can manage both your content calendar and marketing campaigns in one place. Ever wanted to be bale to collaborate with your colleagues easily and track your campaign performance? With this tool you can!
Some More SEMrush Content Tools
- Post Tracking. This tool enables you to measure the performance of your external articles. You can track social engagement metrics, backlink count, referral traffic and even daily keyword rankings.
- SEO Content Template. This highly acclaimed tool gives you the ability to generate a brief template for optimized content focused on your target keywords in just a few clicks. It will provide custom SEO recommendations based on the ranking of your top 10 rivals for your chosen keyword in Google search in a specific area.
- SEO Writing Assistant. Another snazzy tool which basically provides content optimization on the go. It works based on your top 10 rivals in Google rankings. You can also check your content for SEO friendliness and originality online, so you can adjust your copy’s readability and tone of voice, if necessary.
- Topic Research. This tool is a must-have. It helps you to discover engaging content ideas based on your audience’s needs. It also helps you to find new topics to create compelling content to fit into your content plan.
To help you get the most of your ad campaigns, SEMrush has some amazing advertising tools.
- Ad Builder. This tool is designed to help you create compelling advertising copies and headlines for your ad campaigns. Need help you overcome blank page syndrome and get your writing started? Then this is the tool for you!
- Advertising Research. The ad research tool will help you uncover your competitors’ search ads. But more importantly, you will be able to delve deeply into the competition’s paid search strategies and plan your own PPC campaign.
- CPC Map. This tool will enable you to evaluate the potential of any particular state or region in relation to CPC and search demand for your products and services.
Some More SEMrush Ad Tools
- Display Advertising. Now you can enhance your Google Display Network (GDN) campaigns by using this tool to monitor the competition’s display ads. With the display ad tool, you can analyze the competition’s ad texts and banners, locate where they are advertising, and appraise their target audiences.
- PLA Research. This tools make it easy to explore the PLA competitive landscape. Plus you can analyze your competitor’s product feeds in detail. Plus, you can get data-driven insights to power your e-commerce strategies.
- PPC Keyword tool. An oldie but goodie. The PPC keyword tool will help you choose the best keywords based on CPC, volume, and other crucial metrics. Fantastic for building a thorough keyword list, setting negative keywords, and removing duplicates.
- Traffic Jet. As the name signifies, this tool will help you automate your campaign creation and optimization 24/7. Plus with just a few clicks, you gain access to hundreds of premium traffic sources.
The SEMrush social media tools are some of the best in the market, designed to keep you ahead of the competition 24/7.
- Social Media Tools. This is a very versatile tool which will take your social media strategy to new heights. With this amazing tool, you can publish across various social media networks and platforms. What’s more, you can also schedule and undertake analytics and ads management with the social media tool.
SEMrush is the market leader when it comes to competitive research. With their tools, you can find out what your competitors are doing, and seek to outperform them.
- Market Explorer. Ever wanted to be able to reveal the top players in any industry, analyze a new market or niche, and get in-market audience insights? Now you can. All you’e got you do is enter one website into the tool to map out the entire competitive landscape.
- Traffic Analytics. With the SEMrush Traffic Analytics tool, you can reveal any website’s traffic. Any website including your competitors, prospects and potential partners.
SEMrush Plans and Pricing
As you can see from the image below, SEMrush has 3 price plans.
Let’s unpack each of them.
Ready? Awesome. Let’s go for it!
The SEMrush Pro retails at $99.95 per month. It is suitable for freelancers, startups and in-house marketers working to a limited budget.
With the Pro price plan, you have access to over 40 SEMrush tools.
At $199.95 per month, the Guru price plan is ideal for SMB and growing market agencies. With the Guru plan you have all the features of Pro, plus access to the Content Marketing platform, branded reports, historical data and more.
The SEMrush business price plan works best for agencies, e-commerce projects and businesses with extensive web presence. It retails at $399.95 per month.
In terms of features, the business price plan gives you all the features of Guru, plus white label reports, API access and much more.
Looking For SEMrush Alternatives? Try SEMrush FREE For 30 Days
We’ve partnered with SEMrush to give you a free 30 day trial of the amazing SEMrush software.
Simply click the image below to activate your free trial.
A Review of the Top SEMrush Competitors
As we’ve stated already, amazing as SEMrush is, there are some fantastic SEMrush alternatives, paid and free.
And if you’re ready, let’s dive into our review.
Paid SEMrush Alternatives
Here are the top paid SEMRush alternatives.
Ahrefs is arguably the closest of the SEMrush alternatives and competitors. It is very similar to SEMrush in terms of features, and overall functionality.
Ahrefs has 4 price plans. And as you can see from the image below, Ahrefs is also very similar to SEMrush when it comes to plans and pricing.
Ahrefs is an All-in-one SEO toolset, with free learning materials and a passionate community and support.
With Ahrefs, you can:
- Optimize your website with their Site Audit tool.
- Analyze your competitors through Site Explorer.
- Study what your customers are searching in Keywords Explorer.
- Learn from your industry’s top performing content in Content Explorer.
- Track your ranking progress using the Rank Tracker tool.
Whether you’re a junior marketer or an SEO expert, you’ll find the Ahrefs’ toolset powerful yet easy to master.
Ahrefs offers a 7-day trial which gives you full access to all tools and features of your chosen plan.
#2. Moz Pro
Moz Pro is another top SEMrush competitor. It is perhaps best known for Domain Authority, the search engine ranking score developed by Moz that seeks to predict how well a website will rank on SERPs.
Moz Pro is a proven, all-in-one SEO toolset. Moz Pro offers SEO software and data to help you increase traffic, drive up your rankings, and increase visibility in search results.
Moz Pro claims to build the best-in-class SEO software for every situation. From their all-in-one SEO platform to tools for local SEO, enterprise SERP analytics, and a powerful API.
Some SEO Solutions Possible with Moz Pro
- Site audits. Moz Pro will crawl your website on demand. And when they do, they will uncover technical SEO issues, and recommend improvements.
- Rank tracking. With Moz Pro, you can track the performance of thousands of your traffic-driving keywords across over 170 search engines.
- Backlink analysis. The Moz link index is a fantastic tool. With this tool, you can see metrics to any site in just a few seconds, including anchor text and the acclaimed Domain Authority.
- Keyword research. With this tool, you can discover thousands of keywords to target. You also receive information on Keyword Difficulty scores, competitor research, and SERP analysis.
Moz Pro is available on a free one month trial with limited features. After your 1 month trial, prices for an account start at $149 per month plus tax.
SpyFu is a competitive intelligence tool for SEO and PPC. It markets itself as the best SEO and PPC tools starting at $33 per month.
When you enter a domain into the domain overview, you’re given an array of impressive data.
What Can SpyFu Do?
SpyFu reveals the search marketing strategy of your most successful competitors.
With SpyFu you can search for any domain and see every where they’ve shown up on Google in the last 14 years.
As you can see from the image below, when we searched for smartblogger.com, SpyFu provides us organic keywords, estimated monthly SEO clicks, keywords that top competitors also rank for, and much more.
Scroll down and you have even more data including organic competitors, shared organic keywords, top keywords, top pages and more.
SpyFu also shows you how to connect with these domains. You can find online and traditional leads methods — including social media, email, phone, and address, which you may not be able to find anywhere else.
SpyFu Pricing Plan
As you can see from the image below, SpyFu has 3 pricing plans, basic, professional and team. Every plan gives you unlimited access to all the SpyFu data you require.
Serpstat was founded by Oleg Salamaha in 2013 as an internal service for Netpeak, a digital marketing agency. In early 2015, Serpstat became an independent company.
Serpstat is an all-in-one SEO platform. It embraces SEO, PPC, content marketing, and project management tasks and over 20 essential tools for marketing professionals who strive to make websites visible for search engines.
With Serpstat, you can perform positions tracking, backlink analysis, keywords research, and competitor research.
Serpstat has 4 pricing plans, lite, standard, advanced and enterprise.
Every Serpstat pricing plan includes the following tools:
- Rank Tracking
- PPC Research
- Tools, including:
- Keyword Clustering
- Text Analysis
- Keywords Quality Control
- Keyword Analysis
- Site Audit
- Serpstat Website SEO Checker
- Website Analysis
- Backlink Analysis
- The following additional features:
- API, integrations and checklists
- Team management
- Reports and infographics
Serpstat aspires to be one of the best SEMrush alternatives.
But truth be told.
It’s not yet quite at the level of SEMrush or Ahrefs. It not as robust or versatile as any of them.
Free SEMrush Alternatives
We will now look at some of the best free SEMrush alternatives currently available.
SEMrush is such a versatile tool that there’s no free SEMrush alternative that covers the whole array of over 45 SEMrush tools and features.
What you have are tools which cover different areas such as Keyword research, backlinks analytics etc.
Ubersuggest is a free SEO tool, and one of the leading free SEMrush alternatives.
It is designed specifically to generate new keyword ideas.
It was originally founded as a tool that scraped Google Suggest terms. However, online entrepreneur Neil Patel has acquired Ubersuggest, and he has now significantly expanded the features.
As you can see from the image below, when you type in a domain, the Domain Overview provides organic keywords, organic monthly traffic, domain score and total backlinks including the number of no follow links.
There’s more information when you scroll down. A scroll down reveals SEO keywords ranking, top SEO pages and SEO keywords.
Although it’s free to use, Ubersuggest often does not suggest any keywords. At other times, produces inaccurate search volumes probably due to backend errors.
There are many other free keyword tools that produce relevant keywords but which are not only more reliable than Ubersuggest, but also offer additional features.
#2. SEO PowerSuite
SEO PowerSuite is a great SEMrush alternative. It consists of 4 tools designed to cover every aspect of SEO. From keywords, rankings, backlinks, on-page and content data, mobile SEO, social media, analytics, to reports. The 4 tools are Rank Tracker, WebSite Auditor, SEO SpyGlass, and Link Assistant.
Is SEO PowerSuite a Free SEMrush Alternative?
SEO PowerSuite is not exactly free. They offer ‘Professional’ and ‘Enterprise’ licenses for SEO specialists and SEO agencies.
However, I have included it here because it offers a free license. The freemium plan is ideal for anyone who wants to occasionally check over their website. It’s also perfect for anyone who wants to test the software before buying.
SEO PowerSuite Price Plan
SEO PowerSuite is a downloadable a desktop SEO tool. Being a desktop tool makes it a lot cheaper to run. However, this also means that it is less robust than SEMrush, Moz Pro and Ahrefs.
SEO PowerSuite offers 3 price plans. A freemium license, a professional license and an enterprise license.
Killer Features of SEO Tools
A killer feature is any attribute or aspect of a product that proves so useful as to become the main attraction of the product.
There are some killer features of SEO tools which you need to be aware of. These are the attributes and qualities that make any SEO tool or software worth buying.
And it is very important that you look at these features very carefully before you decide whether to go with SEMrush or any of the SEMrush alternatives (free and paid).
Are you ready to look at some of these killer attributes? Smashing.
Let’s go for it.
|Killer Feature||What Makes the Feature Essential||Which SEO Tool is Best and Why?|
|Accuracy of data for|
search volume for Keyword research.
|SEO and marketing professionals keyword research tools, and these rely on keyword data. For keyword research to be reliable, the data it relies upon must be accurate and constantly updated.||The recent Jumpshot shutdown has highlighted the fact that SEMrush has the most accurate data for search volume for keyword research.|
We recently conducted an experiment, where we analysed the data of three of the leading keyword research tools – Ahrefs, Moz and SEMrush. All of the these tools provide keyword overview data with search volume numbers and historical trends, keyword difficulty, and other metrics.
Our research suggests that SEMrush is currently the only source of reliable keyword data among key SEO providers.
You can read our article and findings here.
|The size of the keyword database for Google||This is one area where size actually matters 🙂 |
The more keywords you have for your keyword research, the more ideas you can get to enrich your SEO and PPC campaigns. So the size of the keywords database is a monumental feature.
|This is the size of the three leading SEO tools – SEmrush, Ahrefs and Moz from their own official stats:|
Moz: 500 million keywords suggestions
Ahrefs: 7.8 billion keywords
SEMrush: 20 billion keywords
As you can see, SEMrush is miles ahead of both Ahrefs and Moz with 20 billion. SEMrush has the largest keyword database on the market!
Frequently Asked Questions on the Best SEMrush Alternatives.
Now to the Q&A section.
#1. Is there a free version of SEMrush?
Yes. However, with a free account, you’re limited in what you can do, even though you have access to a lot of the SEMrush tools and features. For instance, there is a limit on how much data you can pull.
Just so you know.
SEMrush offers a free trial of 3 different types. When you first sign up for SEMrush, you get the option of starting out with a 7-day free trial or 14 day free trial or a 30 day free trial.
Click >>> here to start a 30 day FREE trial of SEmrush.
#2. Do I need SEMrush?
You need an SEO tool, and SEMrush is the best SEO tool on the market! SEMrush is the market leader with over over 6 million users.
SEMrush has over 40 amazing tools and features to help you explore opportunities for SEO and find unexploited opportunities to strengthen your backlink profile.
SEMrush will help you gain market insights and uncover your competitors’ strategies. With SEMrush you get powerful content strategy with data-driven solutions. Furthermore, SEMrush will help you uncover all the best keywords you need to target to drive traffic to your website.
SEMrush will also recommend ways to optimize your content to drive more organic traffic to your website.
With SEMrush the opportunities are endless.
#3. How do you use SEMrush competitors?
All you need to do is simply enter your domain name into the search bar. But make sure you’re under Organic Research and click the Competitors tab as you can see from this image.
Let’s try it with the domain problogger.com
When you do this, SEMrush will then list all the sites that compete for the same keywords as the queried domain, in this case problogger.com.
As you can see from the image below, when we query problogger.com, the list of competitors will be based on common keywords and having a similar total organic keyword count.
#4. What is SEMrush?
SEMrush is the market leading SEO tool. It is a versatile suite of over 40 tools for digital marketing, competitive research, backlinks analytics, keyword research and much more.
Click here >> to try SEMrush FREE for 30 days.
#5. How does the semrush free trial work?
SEMrush has three levels of free trials, the 7-day, 14-day and 30-day trials.
When you first sign up for SEMrush, you’re give the option of a free trial of either a Pro or Guru subscription plan. The trial allows you to test drive each of the over 40 tools and reports to help you understand how SEMrush fits your needs, aspirations and ambitions. It also help you decide if the Pro or Guru price plans would be better for you.
#6. What are the top SEMrush alternatives?
In no particular oder, the main SEMrush alternatives are:
- HubSpot Marketing Hub.
- SE Ranking.
- Google Analytics.
#7. Who are the main SEMrush competitors?
Again, in no particular order, the main SEMrush competitors are:
- SE Ranking.
Wrapping Up – The Best SEMrush Alternatives
As we’ve pointed out, SEMrush is the leading tool for SEO. However, awesome and magnificent as it is, SEMrush may not be for everyone. And thankfully, there are some SEMrush alternatives out there.
Take advantage of the FREE SEMrush 30 day trial before you go with any of the SEMrush alternatives.
What have you got to lose?
If SEMrush is not for you, then cancel within the 30 days, and you won’t be charged a cent.
Want to try it for FREE? Awesome!
Our Most Recent Posts
- The Actionable On-Page SEO Guide on How to Rank in Google
- How Medium Suspended My Account in Breach of The Santa Clara Principles
- The Ultimate Guide to the Best SEMrush Alternatives
- Sensational – How Jumpshot Demise Revealed the #1 Keyword Research Tool in the World
- SEMrush Pricing Plans: SEMrush Pro Vs Guru Vs Business – Which Plan Is Best For You?
Disclosure of material connection